Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week 9: Every day is a tea (coffee) party

It's been 9 weeks, but it feels like 9 days. I've been having such a great time! Those of you who know me know, I love food. Cooking or eating...I just love food. I do miss the wonderful restaurant scene in Denver. I miss happy hours, eating at new restaurants, buying groupons and restaurant week!!!! It's not just about going out to eat, because you can do that here. It's about the culture of being social, eating out, finding new restaurants, trying new happy hours, tasting new and interesting foods.

Norway is a little different. I've been visiting here since I was very young. Every time we came, we would travel around visiting different family members and friends. We would never go out to eat. At each visit, we would sit at someone's house for coffee, tea and cakes. I thought this was just a special event because we were in town from the US. Now that I have been in Norway for a while, I've realized that every day is a tea party (and when I say tea, I mean coffee because nobody drinks tea).

Small, fragile coffee cups on saucers, cakes, cheese and bread with homemade jam, and cute little decorative napkins. This is the cute little setup at every visit and I love it. It feels like I'm a little girl having a tea party every day. Except now, I really get to eat the cake and drink the coffee. Yum! Check out these cute pictures of some recent tea parties, I mean, visits with friends and family.


Visiting with Grandma and her brother and sister in law. Croissants, jam, cheese, spiced bread and cinnamon buns with coffee, then a cherry dessert thing. Oh, so yummy!


Grandma's visit. Cakes, coffee and more cakes!




And then there's the cooking. It is not what I'm used to, but it's fun. Here are some recent Norwegian creations.


This is a delicious Norwegian cake,a meringue topped with vanilla saus, whipped cream and fruit. Soooo good!


Cucumber salad, my mom's favorite Norwegian dish. Thinly sliced cucumbers with vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Sounds simple and it is, but it is also SO delish!


Oh, the yummy fish! We cleaned it, then stuffed it with onions, cucumbers, yogurt, and spices, then topped with lemons.


Add some potatoes and look how delicious this meal looks! And it was absolutely scrumptious!!!

And now all this talk of food has made me hungry. But, since I had cake and coffee for dinner (at my tea party), I will pass on another meal and get some much needed sleep. It's raining sideways again which means I get to sleep to the sound of rain drops on my window. My favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness that cake... I cant say I'd be first to taste the fish, as yummy as it may be I can't eat anything that has a face...Perhaps I could cover it with a lemon slice?

    ReplyDelete